Re: Postmaster Uptime

От Tim Knowles
Тема Re: Postmaster Uptime
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Following on from Lee's mail I have written the following two functions to
return the uptime.  I had a look at the other pl's and pl/sh seemed to be
the easiest to route to take.  PostgreSQL's internal time/date routines do a
lot of the heavy lifting in re-arranging the date output from the ps command
into a timestamp.

CREATE FUNCTION postmasterstarttime() RETURNS timestamp AS '
#!/bin/bash
ps -o lstart,command | grep ''[p]ostmaster'' | cut -c 5-24
' LANGUAGE 'plsh';

CREATE FUNCTION uptime() RETURNS interval AS '
SELECT current_timestamp - postmasterstarttime();
' LANGUAGE 'sql';

A simple 'SELECT uptime();' should return

         uptime
 2 days 04:40:24.016406
(1 row)

I have tried this on a Linux Mandrake 8.1 box and it seems to work fine. I'd
imagine that the output of ps may need to be tweaked for different platforms
depending on the version of ps used (I have procps version 2.0.7).

Best Regards,

Tim Knowles