Re: [ADMIN] JDBC and servlet...

От Nick Fankhauser
Тема Re: [ADMIN] JDBC and servlet...
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
James-

This problem ought to get posted over on the postgresql JDBC list- I'll cc
this reply on that list. (You may even find some Resin users over there.)

Here's the only thought that occurs to me based on my experiences with
Tomcat- Is it possible that when running with Resin, that at some point
after the connection is made but before it gets closed, the original
connection instance gets lost?

More specifically, since you'll be running many instances via the web
connection, could it be that the first one connects fine, uses the
connection, and then before it gets closed, a second connection is
instantiated that invalidates the handle that you have for the first one?
perhaps you could test the connection to see if it is null just before
closing as a check.

As an aside, if you're running a serious web-app you'll want to use a
connection pool or you'll quickly run out of connections even if they are
getting closed properly- you also don't want the performance hit of
establishing and closing a new connection for each web access.

Most of the problems that we've had with Tomcat vs the command line arise
either from our failure to plan initially for the fact that many instances
are running side by side in this environment, *or* from the change of
context that arises because instead of running from the developer's account,
we're now running from the account that apache/tomcat use (www-data in most
cases).

One way to bench-test the second issue would be to do an "su - www-data"
while running your tests from the command line.

Hope this helps!

-Nick

Nick Fankhauser  nickf@ontko.com  Phone 1.765.935.4283  Fax 1.765.962.9788
Ray Ontko & Co.     Software Consulting Services     http://www.ontko.com/