RE: Why vacuum?

От Christopher Kings-Lynne
Тема RE: Why vacuum?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> But why?  I don't know of other databases that need to be 'vacuum'ed.  Do
> all others just do it internaly on a regular basis?
>
> What am I missing here?

Plenty of other databases need to be 'vacuumed'.  For instance, if you have
an ms access database with 5 MB of data in it, and then delete all the data,
leaving only the forms, etc - you will be left with a 5MB mdb file still!

If you then run 'Compact Database' (which is another word for 'vacuum'), the
mdb file will be reduced down to 500k...

Chris