RE: Using SELECT as DDL/DML statement is wrong (was RE: reinitialize a sequence?)

От Edmar Wiggers
Тема RE: Using SELECT as DDL/DML statement is wrong (was RE: reinitialize a sequence?)
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
> But, altering the database in a procedure
> called from a select is a design decision,
> and if somebody wants to do it, well, it's
> their problem.  There may (on very few
> occasions, one would hope) actually be some
> good reasons to do this.

Ok, it's their problem. But, as a DBA, I would like to have stored
procedures. Having that, I would also like a way to prevent any application
development that uses SELECT statements to alter the database. By
definition, that's not what SELECT is for (and so it is bad practice to use
it that way).

Currently however, that's the only whay to do it (use something similar to
stored procs). And, true, that's much better than not doing it at all.

Yours sincerely,

Edmar Wiggers
BRASMAP Information Systems
+55 48 9960 2752