Re: add column sillyness

От Paul Ganainm
Тема Re: add column sillyness
Дата
Список pgsql-general

rick@alpinenetworking.com says...

> tested, solid, native replication both syncronous and asyncronous (at least
> they list this as a feature, I assume it works as advertised)

As an Interbase/Firebird user, I'm confused by this.

There is a replication solution, but AFAIK, it's commercial - not Open
Source.

> native windows versions

This is true - if PostgreSQL got its install/setup as easy as for IB/FB,
they would really start to go places!

> scales down better for embedded apps

There is a dll version available for single user apps - which makes
installation very nice (on Windows).

> The first feature is something that is not a huge deal to me right now but
> it probably will be someday.  Right now I do a full backup every 15 minutes
> and rsync it to a backup db server.  As my databases are small right now
> this is not much of a problem.  I'm hoping that this feature will pop up in
> postgres before it becomes a must have.

I thought that there was a commerical Replicator that has gone Open
Source? Is there more than one project for PG?

> Does anyone have a link to such a comparison?  Also can anyone elaborate on
> the features that postgres has that firebird lacks?  If there were some
> obvious show stoppers in firebird it would save me the time of having to do
> a trial port of an app to firebird before I find them on my own.

What would constitute a "show stopper" for you?

Paul...

--

plinehan  x__AT__x  yahoo  x__DOT__x  com

C++ Builder 5 SP1, Interbase 6.0.1.6 IBX 5.04 W2K Pro

Please do not top-post.