Re: Access 97/Postgres migration

От Patrick Dunford
Тема Re: Access 97/Postgres migration
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, 14 Apr 2001 02:41:00 +0000 (UTC) AD in
comp.databases.postgresql.questions, Eric G. Miller said:

>On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 03:18:38PM +0000, ZHU Jia wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> we are considering using Postgres as our new backend DB. But we have a
>> rather complicated Access application which we need to migrate. The
>> idea is to export all the tables from Access to Postgres, then link
>> them back using ODBC so that the Access interface will remain
>> untouched.  I just wonder how it would work with the auto_increment
>> data type of Access, I've read that Postgres has the data type
>> "Serial" but it doesn't seem that I can insert a value into it because
>> it should be generated automatically. Now the problem is how can I
>> convert the existing IDs (primary key) to serial?  And would this
>> setup work well at all? Is there anything I should keep in mind from
>> the beginning?  Any hints or tips would be highly appreciated, and
>> many thanks in advance!

Using the serial type with MS Access is fraught with potential problems -
you will get "#deleted" when a record is posted because of the way access
works.

I suggest the following:
1. Use INT4 instead
2. Create a sequence in Postgres and set the starting number appropriately
3. Write a ODBC passthrough query to retrieve the next value of the
sequence.
4. Write a DAO function to run the query and retrieve the value
5. Call this function in the BeforeInsert event of the form.

This will overcome the potential problem mentioned.

Patrick Dunford, Christchurch, NZ - http://pdunford.godzone.net.nz/

   Then the end will come, when he hands over the kingdom to God
the Father after he has destroyed all dominion, authority and
power.
    -- 1 Corinthians 15:24
http://www.heartlight.org/cgi-shl/todaysverse.cgi?day=20010416
Created by Mail2Sig - http://pdunford.godzone.net.nz/software/mail2sig/