Re: Can I get some PostgreSQL developer feedback on these five general issues I have with PostgreSQL and its ecosystem?

От tutiluren@tutanota.com
Тема Re: Can I get some PostgreSQL developer feedback on these five general issues I have with PostgreSQL and its ecosystem?
Дата
Ответы Re: Can I get some PostgreSQL developer feedback on these five general issues I have with PostgreSQL and its ecosystem?  (Thomas Kellerer <shammat@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-general
(I can't believe I'm replying to this drivel...)
>     Huh? A schema is just a name space, why does it matter how the
>     extension chooses to define it? I mean you could have number of
>     permutations of postgis.
>
> I'm saying that PostGIS has a bug due to incorrectly constructed
> internal queries which makes it impossible to properly name the schema
> where PostGIS is to reside, causing my database to look very ugly when
> it has to say "postgis" instead of "PostGIS" for PostGIS's schema. And
> that was an example of how sloppy/bad third-party things always are, and
> is one reason why I don't like it when I have to rely on "extensions".
All lowercase is good
That's your personal opinion -- not some kind of fact, and it definitely goes against everything that I believe.
, as you don't have to remember which bits are capitalized.
Yes, so let's remove all upper-case letters, punctuation, grammar and everything else as well. Let's just communicate with grunts. That way, we don't have to remember all of this unnecessary stuff which provides meaningless complexity to this existence...
  And besides, there are far more important issues to consider as Tony has covered in detail.
And yet you focus on it, ignoring everything of importance that I had written...
  It is definitely not a bug!
It is the very *definition* of a bug. The PostgreSQL manual CLEARLY states that you are to use double quotes around all identifiers or else it will turn them into lowercase. Please at least try to have some minimum knowledge of what you are talking about before trying to correct people.

The fact that there are a lot of sloppy, US-centric people who refuse to use correctly named identifiers and cannot understand how there can be anything besides a-z in an alphabet, doesn't change reality and doesn't make a bug "right".
There are many reasons for going with PostgreSQL and PostGIS, but you are free to use something else if you prefer.
"Something else"? If I "prefer"? Why waste my and your own time to send something when you clearly didn't read what you are replying to?

The answer, of course, is that you have zero interest in helping but 100% interest in making smug insults, like so many other people out there. It's incredibly tiresome to constantly have to wade through useless noise from horribly ignorant people, while getting further and further away from actually getting answers or meaningful feedback on the actual thing you asked.