numeric type and odbc from access 2000

От Shahab Asgharzadeh
Тема numeric type and odbc from access 2000
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Greetings,

I am a newcomer to postgresql and so far so good. Although some may argue
with
the use of Access in developing front-end clients, I have created one.
Everything
works well except when a table contains numeric datatype, one can not delete
rows
or update them from access.
I am using Postgress 7.01 on a SUN/solaris 8, using the postgres odbc 6.5,
and Access 2000 as the client.
The problem as I see it is when access is deleting a row it includes all the
columns within the sql statement instead of just using the primary key or
oid.  That is:
a table with
col1 as integer
col2 as varchar(10)
col3 as numeric (9,3)
primary keys (col1, col2)

Access will write the sql as:
delete from "tablename" where "col1" = 1234 AND "col2" = 'text' AND "col3" =
100.200

It also seems that the problem can be duplicated within psql:
Given any table with a numeric type, if one includes the numeric column in
the delete or update statement you get:

ERROR:  Unable to identify an operator '=' for types 'numeric' and 'float8'
        You will have to retype this query using an explicit cast

Any ideas from anyone would be appreciate it, I hate to convert my numeric
column to an integer and divide by 1000 each time in order to solve this
problem.

Thanks

shahab