Re: BUG #5225: create table: cast necessary for constant??

От Wagner, Kurt
Тема Re: BUG #5225: create table: cast necessary for constant??
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Thanks Tom and Kevin=20

for your detailed explanation. Even if I know now there is no chance of
changing it I'd like you to consider following fact:

when writing a character constant elsewhere=20
then at first it is interpreted as character constant - right?
then it is casted to the desired type

e.g. SELECT... FROM ... WHERE now() > '2009-12-03'

at first the input is accepted as character literal
   (@Tom: in no way the literal is automatically interpreted as a user=20
defined data type)
then the literal is casted to timestamp
then it is compared.

This behaviour you can see when typing a wrong timestamp:
ERROR: invalid input syntax for type timestamp with time zone:=20
"2009-12#03" [SQL State=3D22007]=20
-> this is a message created by the data type casting

setting the column type to unknown will deactivate all automatic type=20
casts available.
For me it was not logical (but errornous) to not interpret the literal=20
as=20

please refer to following statement:
CREATE TEMP TABLE blabla AS SELECT now() AS timecol, 0 AS intcol, 0.0 AS=20
deccol, 'I' AS CHARCOL FROM mytable;

Postgres decided to define deccol as numeric even not knowing the exact=20
type. But setting it to numeric it allows further processing. Only=20
charcol is unknown which causes problems in further processing.

you see what I mean?

thank you and kind regards

Kurt

=20