enhance documentation for SSH-tunneled access to database

От Ralf Hauser
Тема enhance documentation for SSH-tunneled access to database
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
Hi,

"How do I... Use pgAdmin II via a secure (encrypted) connection?"
(http://pgadmin.postgresql.org/pgadmin2/pgadmin2.php?ContentID=11) is an
excellent start.

I am using the same set-up for mysql for months without a problem.

To get this also working with postgres, I tried many approaches with no
success, but then, I noticed that

1) even on the server on which postmaster/the database is running, I get

<<[root@calimero data]# psql -h localhost -p 5432 -U myUserId myDB
psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused       Is the server running on host localhost and accepting
TCP/IPconnections on port 5432?>>

so, perhaps, something needs to be changed on the server side first?

2) secondly, Fred says to enhance pg_hba.conf, but he doesn't hint how to
get that additional IP address:
Especially since more and more db-servers are behind firewalls and NATed,
this is not so trivial.

My finding so far is that "/sbin/ifconfig" provides this additional
IP-address that is not visible to the outside.

Anyway, any hints how to solve 1) would be highly appreciated!
Ralf