Re: PostgreSQL configuration

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: PostgreSQL configuration
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Joe Conway wrote
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Personally I rely quite a lot on setting PGDATA to keep
> straight which
> > installation I'm currently working with, so I'm not going
> to be happy
> > with a redesign that eliminates that variable without providing an
> > adequate substitute :-(
>
> I'll second that.

Very much agreed. PGDATA is important, lets keep it, please.

For one thing, this type of mechanism is already used by Oracle, with
ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_HOME.

[It might not work like Apache, but IMHO this is less relevant. Apache
isn't typically configured by DBAs. PostgreSQL is, and familiar concepts
from other industry areas are probably more important to the success of
pg than conformance to internet/LINUX norms.]

Best Regards, Simon Riggs