Re: Possible use of a subselect?

От Joel Burton
Тема Re: Possible use of a subselect?
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
No subselect neccessary:

create table trans (id serial primary key,
                    stringid int not null,
                    lang varchar(32),
                    content varchar(255));

insert into trans (stringid, lang, content) values (0,'English','Hello');
insert into trans (stringid, lang, content) values (1,'Spanish','Hola');
insert into trans (stringid, lang, content) values
(0,'English','Wassup'); -- no translation

          select eng.stringid,
                 eng.content,
                 span.content
            from trans as eng
 left outer join trans as span
              on (span.stringid=eng.id and span.lang='Spanish')
           where eng.lang='English';

The subtle part is the difference between putting "eng.lang='English'" in
the where clause (correct) versus in the on clause (wrong; try it and see
what happens). In the on clause, we create a matching NULL entry due to the
left outer join; in the where clause, we can get rid of the non-English
translations in the eng table, which is what we want.

HTH.

- J.

Joel BURTON | joel@joelburton.com | joelburton.com | aim: wjoelburton
Knowledge Management & Technology Consultant