Re: PostgreSQL vs. Oracle

От Iavor Raytchev
Тема Re: PostgreSQL vs. Oracle
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL vs. Oracle  (Richard Huxton <richardh@archonet.com>)
Список pgsql-advocacy
Hello Shidhar,

Thank you for your reply.

When we migrated form MySQL to PostgreSQL we did it not in a very rational
way. We felt that there is something better and more excellent in
PostgreSQL. Then our business grew. I think we could not have done what we
did if we would have stayed on MySQL. Now we have the same feeling about
Oracle. It has nothing to do with not liking PostgreSQL. It has more to do
with climbing the next peak. The possibilities lie beyond.

> Could you please elaborate on each term as in what do you expect
> out of that functionality?
>
> e.g. Virtual private database? What is that? Unless I know what
> to expect out of that functionality, how can anybody offer
> an opinion or material on that?

It is exactly what Oracle means by it. We are not starting a war here - but
investigating comparisons.

My personal goal is to see the difference in features, how the lack of
features can be worked around in the application (in both databases) and if
missing features are on the PostgreSQL todo list and in what time frame.

In the ideal case I would combine all this into a white paper.

As I said again - this is an intellectual survey and has nothing to do with
being satisfied or not with PostgreSQL. Currently we have no problems with
PostgreSQL.

Thanks for your comments. I copied your e-mail in the wiki. I hope you do
not mind.

Best,

Iavor