RE: Query very different speeds on seemingly similar data

От Rob Northcott
Тема RE: Query very different speeds on seemingly similar data
Дата
Список pgsql-general

readand details are only gained by hovering the >mouse cursor over the node. I for one struggle to work out what's the
innerand outer sides of the join with the output you've given and can only work it out by looking >at the nested loop
planto see which side the parameter is on.

>It appears that the sub-query plan has changed from a Nested Loop plan to a Merge Join. The Merge Join is a pretty bad
plansince the index that provides the pre-sorted input must filter out many non-matching rows. It's not quite clear to
mewhy the planner chooses that index, mostly because I'm too lazy to learn the output you've shown the plans in, but if
youdid have an index on sales_invoicedetails (std_stk_key, std_unique), then the Merge Join plan would likely produce a
betterplan, or at least better than the current Merge Join plan.

You'll likely want to ensure that random_page_cost has not been set to something insane on the Merge Join instance.
I'dalso check seq_page_cost too and also effective_cache_size.

More recommendations might be easier to give if you show the plans in a better format.

Apart from that, you could consider also instead of performing a sub-query, LEFT JOIN to a query similar to your
subquerybut after removing the std_stk_key = stock.stk_key condition and adding a GROUP BY std_stk_key. However, that
mayperform worse if there are many more std_stk_key groups than there are matching rows in stock.stk_key.

Experimentation might be required there.

Thanks for the reply David,

Those output files came from PGAdmin, but I agree they're not the easiest to look at.  I've tried writing the query in
differentways (which is easy enough with the minimal query here but not so easy with the original massive query), but
it'sstill way slower on one set of data than on the other.

I'll try changing those settings on the test server and see if it makes any difference... We've got almost 100
databasesrunning the same system (on the same server) and this is the only one that's being a problem so far, but it
couldof course just be that we've been lucky.

If I can't get anywhere with that I'll try to post the analyse output in a better format.

Thanks again for your reply

Rob

От: Jakub Olczyk
Сообщение: Re: postgresql11-devel RPM is missing from "Direct RPM downloads"
От: Laurenz Albe
Сообщение: Re: granting right to create and delete just one database