Re: odd psql behaviour on OSX

От Robert J. Sanford, Jr.
Тема Re: odd psql behaviour on OSX
Дата
Список pgsql-general
okay, i'm doing a little more testing and i have some oddities. i'm hoping
to get some additional help with the additional info i'm providing here.

i'm testing in two different networks - at home and at work. each of the
networks has postgres server on it. both of the servers have a public and
private ip address for each of the networks. the private ip address for both
is a 192.168.69.xxx and the public ip address is, well, a public ip address.

the network at home is a cable modem network with a linksys router/firewall
that is assigning dynamic ip addresses. the router passes requests coming
from outside through the port that i have selected to the machine running
postgres. when i attempt to use psql to access the private ip address i get
the unknown host error listed below. when i attempt to use psql to access
the public ip address it responds and lets me in!

the network at work is running a bunch of cisco routers and switches and all
that good sort of stuff that i have no control over. when i attempt to
access the private ip address from my osx machine it fails to connect with
the unknown host error. when i try to connect to the public ip address it
also fails with the same error. when i try to connect to either the public
or private ip addresses from a windows machine running cygwin (i've tried
from both at work and at home) it works just fine.

i have loaded up the netinfo manager application listed below but i have no
idea as to what to do with it. i'm not a unix guy by any stretch of the
imagination. not afraid of it, just don't any experience with it but willing
to learn.

from my network at work i have explicitly set the DNS servers but still no
joy.

i can still ping the server and get a response but psql is not seeing it.

aaaaaauuuuuuugggggghhhhhhhh!

so why can i see the one public ip address but not the other or the two
private ip addresses?

many thanks!

rjsjr