Re: Performance Bottleneck

От Martin Foster
Тема Re: Performance Bottleneck
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Arjen van der Meijden wrote:

> On 8-8-2004 16:29, Matt Clark wrote:
>
>> There are two well-worn and very mature techniques for dealing with the
>> issue of web apps using one DB connection per apache process, both of
>> which
>> work extremely well and attack the issue at its source.
>>
>> 1)    Use a front-end caching proxy like Squid as an accelerator.  Static
>> content will be served by the accelerator 99% of the time.  Additionally,
>> large pages can be served immediately to the accelerator by Apache, which
>> can then go on to serve another request without waiting for the end
>> user's
>> dial-up connection to pull the data down.  Massive speedup, fewer apache
>> processes needed.
>

> Another version of this 1) is to run with a "content accelerator"; our
> "favourite" is to run Tux in front of Apache. It takes over the
> connection-handling stuff, has a very low memoryprofile (compared to
> Apache) and very little overhead. What it does, is to serve up all
> "simple" content (although you can have cgi/php/perl and other languages
> being processed by it, entirely disabling the need for apache in some
> cases) and forwards/proxies everything it doesn't understand to an
> Apache/other webserver running at the same machine (which runs on
> another port).
>
> I think there are a few advantages over Squid; since it is partially
> done in kernel-space it can be slightly faster in serving up content,
> apart from its simplicity which will probably matter even more. You'll
> have no caching issues for pages that should not be cached or static
> files that change periodically (like every few seconds). Afaik Tux can
> handle more than 10 times as much ab-generated requests per second than
> a default-compiled Apache on the same machine.
> And besides the speed-up, you can do any request you where able to do
> before, since Tux will simply forward it to Apache if it didn't
> understand it.
>
> Anyway, apart from all that. Reducing the amount of apache-connections
> is nice, but not really the same as reducing the amount of
> pooled-connections using a db-pool... You may even be able to run with
> 1000 http-connections, 40 apache-processes and 10 db-connections. In
> case of the non-pooled setup, you'd still have 40 db-connections.
>
> In a simple test I did, I did feel pgpool had quite some overhead
> though. So it should be well tested, to find out where the
> turnover-point is where it will be a gain instead of a loss...
>
> Best regards,
>
> Arjen van der Meijden

Other then images, there are very few static pages being loaded up by
the user.    Since they make up a very small portion of the traffic, it
tends to be an optimization we can forgo for now.

I attempted to make use of pgpool.   At the default 32 connections
pre-forked the webserver almost immediately tapped out the pgpool base
and content stopped being served because no new processes were being
forked to make up for it.

So I raised it to a higher value (256) and it immediately segfaulted and
dropped the core.    So not sure exactly how to proceed, since I rather
need the thing to fork additional servers as load hits and not the other
way around.

Unless I had it configured oddly, but it seems work differently then an
Apache server would to handle content.

    Martin Foster
    Creator/Designer Ethereal Realms
    martin@ethereal-realms.org