Re: Can we still dump version 7?

От Daniel Westermann (DWE)
Тема Re: Can we still dump version 7?
Дата
Список pgsql-docs

>> Ugh, missed that, thanks for spotting it.
>> I wonder whether we should update this or just remove it --- it's
>> clearly something that's likely to get missed again.

>While burdensome, +1 for updating. We don't want users to get caught by
>surprise if pg_dumpall does not work on an old version when trying to
>update to a newer version.

What about something like this:
"Current releases of the dump programs can read data from any supported version of PostgreSQL. You can expect the last
XXXunsupported versions to work as well. If you cannot dump your version of PostgreSQL with the current releases you
needto take an extra step and use a version of the dump programs which can still read from your old release."

That would remove the version number and there is no risk we miss it again in the future. I am not sure about the
officialpolicy for that, though.

Regards
Daniel