Re: pg_shadow / pg_user

От Christopher Kings-Lynne
Тема Re: pg_shadow / pg_user
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hi Rudi,

In the newly-released Postgres 7.2, the passwords are now MD5 encrypted
(IIRC).  I highly suggest upgrading to the new version.

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-sql-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-sql-owner@postgresql.org]On Behalf Of Rudi
Sent: Thursday, 7 February 2002 9:51 AM
To: pgsql-sql@postgresql.org
Subject: [SQL] pg_shadow / pg_user

Hi friends,

I've been learning about security using Pg lately.
Up until last night I thought system user passwords were stored safely away
in pg_user.
So far I haven't been able to get any passwords out only '*******'.
Then last night was observing each system table and found that pg_shadow
stores user passwords in clear text.
??
pg_shadow = clear text password
pg_user = hidden password

I guess this means if an intruder gets an appropriate account on the box the
can view all passwords.
I had assumed that system passwords were stored hidden from all eye balls.
Sort of like apache storing http passwords in binary form in a db.

Is this how it is ?

If so I was thinking I like to know if someone tries or succeeds in querying
the pg_shadow table.
I thought maybe to increase the postmaster debug level so that all sql
queries are logged.
Then write a cron job to check this log and email me if it is detected that
a user is attempted or did query
the pg_shadow table.

How does this sound ?
Am I totaly on track ?