Re: BETWEEN Node & DROP COLUMN

От Christopher Kings-Lynne
Тема Re: BETWEEN Node & DROP COLUMN
Дата
Re: BETWEEN Node & DROP COLUMN  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> Unfortunately many apps rely on the fact that the attnos are
> consecutive starting from 1. It was the main reason why Tom
> rejected my trial. Nothing has changed about it.

OK, I've been looking at Hiroshi's implementation.  It's basically
semantically equivalent to mine from what I can see so far.  The only
difference really is in how the dropped columns are marked.

I've been ruminating on Hiroshi's statement at the top there.  What was the
reasoning for assuming that 'many apps rely on the fact that the attnos are
consecutive'?  Is that true?  phpPgAdmin doesn't.  In fact, phpPgAdmin won't
require any changes with Hiroshi's implementaiton and will require changes
with mine.

Anyway, an app that relies on consecutive attnos is going to have pain
skipping over attisdropped columns anyway???

In fact, I'm now beginning to think that I should just resurrect Hiroshi's
implementation.  I'm prepared to do that if people like...

Chris