Re: Inheritance

От Christopher Kings-Lynne
Тема Re: Inheritance
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Right.  Instead of talking in circles, let's figure out how to do it.
> If the issue is only sequence numbers, can we force a column to _only_
> get values from the sequence counter, thereby makeing the index span
> unnecessary?  Can't we look up stuff in parent/child index to check for
> collisions before we add a row?  Doesn't seem too hard to me.

Is it theoretically possible to add support to btree for storing table along
with the indexed value?  This would obviously add overhead, so it would only
be done for spanning indexes.  The index would also take up more space on
disk I guess.

When a new inherited table is created, all parent indices would be dropped
and recreated as spanning indices and vice versa.

Chris