Re: "user"

От Karen Ellrick
Тема Re: "user"
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> What I just can't understand is that I want to create a _table_ named
> "user", and I can't do that because there is
> a _function_ named exactly that.

I don't know about functions, but there is a basic concept in pgsql
(possibly in SQL itself) called a user.  "CREATE USER username [WITH [SYSID
uid] ..." etc.  Unless you always access your database with the user you
originally used to create it, you have used the above command and others
like it, so that you can then grant privileges to those users.

> Why I care is becuase I'm kind of a
> perfectionist. I want the database to match the UML class diagram.

I can relate - I have had similar urges in other situations and had to bend.
Maybe you could add a uniform prefix or suffix to all the table names (e.g.
tbl_user), so that each table name minus the prefix matches the class
diagram (I don't know what UML stands for, so if this is a silly comment,
ignore me!).  Probably too late though - you've probably made most of your
structure by now.

> Anyway I called it "uzer" now. Maybe usr is better... users is out of the
> question since table names are supposed to go in singularis.

Oh, I didn't know there were conventions for table names - I've probably
been breaking them left, right, and sideways!  But since my databases are
only for my company's internal use (and you can see from the fact that my
email address's username has a hyphen that my company, and other Japanese
companies also, don't care much about conventions :-o), maybe it's okay...

But for the future, does anybody know if there is a document out there that
outlines the generally accepted conventions for SQL tables, columns, etc.?

Karen Ellrick
S & C Technology, Inc.
1-21-35 Kusatsu-shinmachi
Hiroshima  733-0834  Japan
(from U.S. 011-81, from Japan 0) 82-293-2838