Re: Questions about unicode.

От Karen Ellrick
Тема Re: Questions about unicode.
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Corn,

I don't have any experience with Chinese, but I'm writing an application for
Japanese, which has three common encoding formats, or character sets (JIS,
Shift-JIS, EUC), even though they all represent the same actual characters
(unlike Chinese).  From what I can tell, the character sets you deal with
are "Big5" (traditional) and "GB2312" (simplified).  For Japanese, most
software has a choice of "Japanese - Auto-select", which seems to work most
of the time, but perhaps Chinese is more challenging since there are far
more characters commonly used.

I don't know what interface you are using on your PCs to enter and get data,
but if there is a way in that interface (or code you are writing) to detect
what character set the PC is using, you could add a field in your database
table to indicate what character set was used.  Then when the data is
retrieved, the user interface code could get the character set type and tell
the PC to display it using that set.  Again, I don't what interface you are
using, but if, for example, you are using a web browser and writing
server-side code (PHP, CGI, etc.) to access the database, you would set the
character set in the header of the HTML, like this:

You mentioned Unicode in your subject line.  I have not been using Unicode
for Japanese, because I have so far had no trouble putting the two-byte
character codes (Shift-JIS, etc.) directly into the database.  So if there
are special issues with Unicode, I can't help you with that.  If, on the
other hand, you have warnings for me that I should be using Unicode, please
tell me.

I hope this helps.

Karen Ellrick
S & C Technology, Inc.
1-21-35 Kusatsu-shinmachi
Hiroshima  733-0834  Japan
(from U.S. 011-81, from Japan 0) 82-293-2838