Re: feature request: \qf datatype

От david@fetter.org (David Fetter)
Тема Re: feature request: \qf datatype
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Alex J. Avriette" <alex@posixnap.net> wrote:
> I'd like to request the following feature:
>
> Frequently when answering questions on IRC for people, questions
> fall into one of two categories, "what function can I use to
> manipulate datatype xyz," and "what datatype can i use for xyz."
>
> The latter is harder to answer than the former. For the former, I
> propose a macro in psql, "\qf" (query function). Obviously, the name
> implies a broader scope than simply querying the datatypes
> permissable.

I know this is just syntactical nit-picking, but I'm wondering where
this functionality belongs.  A few possibilities:

* Part of \dT (describing data types)
* Part of \df (for functions)
* A new \ command
* Non-empty subsets of the above
* And, of course, the all-important Stuff I Haven't Thought Of.

Duplication--especially for help systems--is not a bad thing, as long
as it's only duplication of access and not of code bases.

Just my $0.02 :)

Cheers,
phone: +1 510 893 6100    cell: +1 415 235 3778

Who is wise?  He who learns from all.                                            Ben Zoma, Pirkei Avot 4:1