Re: !!URGENT!! Should I keep INDEX on the table?

От Rajan Bhide
Тема Re: !!URGENT!! Should I keep INDEX on the table?
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
Hello All,

Can anybody from the forum (developer) confirm whether external
reindexing is not required with Postgres 7.4.
I added external reindexing after searching forum when my App which uses
Postgres (7.4.1) started giving error msgs like:

1)message type 0x44 arrived from server while idle.
 http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2002-06/msg00813.php

2)WARNING:  specified item offset is too large
PANIC:  failed to add item to the page for "cdr_transid_key"
server closed the connection unexpectedly This probably means the server
terminated abnormally before or while processing the request.

After working for a week with external reindexing, Things are working
well.
But I am not sure whether its really the reindexing factor as some of
you have suggested that : "indexes in PostgreSQL do not need maintenance
and tuning".

Also Can anybody tell me what are the overheads involved with DROPing
and CREATing indexes and how often (frequency) this activity should be
perform (? If really required ?) on heavily loaded tables.
My tables have 2M transaction per 6 hours.
I am performing "VACCUM ANALYSE" every 10 mins.
I really require some help as I am doing all these changes with my
production build App.

Thanks,
Rajan.