Re: Incomplete startup packet help needed

От David Johnston
Тема Re: Incomplete startup packet help needed
Дата
Re: Incomplete startup packet help needed  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Jan 23, 2012, at 19:38, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, January 23, 2012 4:24:50 pm David Johnston wrote:
>> Immediately upon starting the server I get an "incomplete startup packet"
>> log message.  Just prior there is an "autovacuum launcher started"
>> message.
>
> Do you have other programs connecting to server on startup?
>

>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> David J.
>
> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian.klaver@gmail.com

I have 3 external machines that hit this server plus Apache Tomcat on the same machine.  I shutdown Tomcat during the
restart. Possible a zombie (or hidden/forgotten) process is running though the log indicates local.  Had been using
pg_admin3for testing and somehow ended up with a possible zombie process there so maybe...

Version 9.0.x - can get the release a little later, running pg_dump at the moment.

Still researching/learning but was using WAL shipping and the ship command was failing.  In the target directory the
mostrecent WAL files is only ~2MB in size (can't check the pg_xlog directory at the moment).  My guess is size quota on
targetbut cannot check at the moment.  Turned off WAL archive and restarted the server.  Restarted a couple of times
untilI remembered to shutdown all the other applications.

Pg_dump seems to be running OK and was able to execute queries.  Was still having difficulty getting my Tomcat software
toconnect but am unsure if I'm just missing something or what.  No obvious messages in either log about that but cannot
getback to it until the dump completes.

Appreciate any help that can be given.  Unfortunately I haven't focused enough attention on Linux (Ubuntu 10.4 LTE) and
PostgreSQLadministration as I'd like (education and/or professional services).  Apparently that is going to change
soonerthan I had thought.

David J.