Re: Table partitioning

От Herouth Maoz
Тема Re: Table partitioning
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Everything is slow about it - selects, deletes and inserts, that is. I don't do updates on that table.

The inserts and deletes are less of an issue because they are done once a week. Of course it would be nicer if they were faster, but that's less of an issue. The real issue is with self-joins, which are a common query. But I have indexes on the relevant fields: the connecting field (the one used for the self-join) as well as the date field. The queries are mostly of the format SELECT ... FROM tablename t1 left join tablename t2 on t1.indexed_field = t2.indexed_field and t2.boolean_field where t1.date_field >= 'date1' and t1.date_field < 'date2' and not t1.boolean; This can take about 15 minutes to run, depending on the date range. And it doesn't matter much if I put a date range within the left join, either.

As I mentioned in another message, I don't like the idea that my script may fail, and then inserts into the table might start to fail as well. I'm not always available to run it manually within a set time. And writing an automation that is different than all the other tables I maintain in that database makes for maintenance spaghetti. I also don't like running automated DDL commands. They don't play well with backups.