Re: Semi-final draft for press release

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: Semi-final draft for press release
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy

Hi Rob,

On 20/08/12 2:50 PM, "Jonathan S. Katz" <jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:

Looks very good!  My only recommendation would be to put the paragraph / list with the performance numbers higher up in the release.  People like numbers showing speed, plus 350,000 reads / second is something to brag about :-)

I see your point and I’m always open to other views; but here is why I disagree on this occasion:

Para 1&2.                Introduction followed by quote supporting claim in introduction.

Paras 3,4,5,6,7&8. High profile name and quote introduces scalability & improvement.
                                 Establishing credibility is more important than numbers in my view.
                                 This is followed by the numbers and a second supporting quote.

Paras 9,10,11&12. Techie benefits but introduced with some good reference sites.

If the numbers is what we are pushing, it would be a totally different piece. The quotes would need to change and we have to work with the quotes we have. Also, I think it is well balanced as it is. If the journalists think that the numbers are more important, they will move them!

First thanks again for both of your hard work on this, it is excellent, which is a word I use limitedly for praise :-) The copy itself does not need any work.

Let me clarify my suggestion.  Beneath the "Improved Performance and Scalability" subsection, I would recommend leading with the "Improvements with vertical scalability" paragraph, followed by the stats, then followed by the adoption quote, the thought process being:

1.  explain what the improvements are
2.  justify it with numbers
3.  show that they are being adopted

I think it helps a lot with readability of the section, though I see how it does push two quotes close together (which for press purposes is ok, I see that in major publications all the time) .  Just to demonstrate how it would read instead:

==========
Improved Performance and Scalability

Improvements in vertical scalability increase PostgreSQL's ability to
efficiently utilize hardware resources on larger servers. Advances in
lock management, write efficiency, index-only access and other low-level
operations allow PostgreSQL to handle even larger-volume workloads.
Numerically, this means:

* Up to 350,000 read queries per second (more than 4X faster)
* Index-only scans for data warehousing queries (up to 20X faster)
* Up to 14,000 data writes per second (5X faster)

Hewlett Packard has adopted PostgreSQL for their remote support software
and to power their HP-UX/Itanium solutions.

"With the release of PostgreSQL 9.2, the PostgreSQL Project has
significantly advanced scalability and developer flexibility to provide
our customers a highly performant database for their most demanding
workloads," Manager at Big Tech Company said. "We are especially happy
with the addition of linear scalability to 64 cores, index-only scans
and reductions in CPU power consumption."

Also, the addition of cascading replication enables users to run even
larger stacks of horizontally scaled servers under PostgreSQL 9.2.

"SomeSocialSite relies on Postgres for storing millions of sites and
subscriptions. Solid and reliable for years," said Some Guy, founder of
SomeSocialSite.com. "We're consistently on the bleeding edge (9.1 now,
moving to 9.2 soon for the cascading replication alone) and it's been a
pleasure since 8.4."

However you did remind me of something: I had the headline in the back of my mind but I didn’t enunciate it. I suggest:

PostgreSQL 9.2 to set new record for market acceptance

If its virtue is not immediately obvious, I’m happy to explain why.

It sounds nice, but which record are we breaking?  PG adoption?  All the RDBMS?  All data stores?  It does appear from early indications 9.2 will have much wider + faster adoption than previous releases, but please do explain further :-)

Jonathan

Сообщение: Re: Semi-final draft for press release
Сообщение: Re: Semi-final draft for press release