Expanding "Upcoming Events" on the Homepage

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Expanding "Upcoming Events" on the Homepage
Дата
Список pgsql-www
The good news - the PostgreSQL community has grown, and we have many more events that we as a community are either hosting or taking part of.

However, we currently only show the next 3 upcoming events on the main www.postgresql.org homepage.  I think this significantly limits the visibility of upcoming events and could take away a significant marketing opportunity to showcase and support our various community events.

Here are a couple of suggestions:

1.  We list >= 5 events on the homepage instead of 3.)
2.  We create a new flag for events - "Featured" - which allows us to select specific events to be either featured on the home page and/or in their own special section on the home page.  This would enable us to feature larger Postgres oriented events, but still provide visibility for smaller PG events or other OSS that feature PG in some way (ref our event posting policy - http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NewsEventsApproval#Approving_Events_and_Event-Related_News_.28excluding_training.29.

#1 is a small patch that many people (including myself) could handle at a moment's notice.   The argument could be made "Well now we display X events now but what if we need to show Y?" - yes I agree with this, but I think we should display a few more now and work on something longer term, i.e...

#2, which is a little bit more work but could open up some new opportunities that we could use the home page for in the future.  We could have a section highlighting "featured" events in the community that could persist on the homepage and continue to keep our regular upcoming events list.

I realize #2 would require both some policy change and some design considerations, which is why I would push to enact #1 and set it to 5.

Thoughts?

Jonathan

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления: