Re: straightening out backend process startup

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: straightening out backend process startup
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On September 13, 2021 9:56:52 PM PDT, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:
>At Mon, 13 Sep 2021 20:11:29 -0700, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote in
>> Hi,

>> > I was wondering about log_disconnections too. The conditional addition of the
>> > callback is all that forces log_disconnections to be PGC_SU_BACKEND rather
>> > than PGC_SUSET too. So I agree that moving a check for Log_disconnections and
>> > IsUnderPostmaster into log_disconnections is a good idea.
>>
>> I did that, and it didn't seem a clear improvement..
>
>Sorry for bothering you about that..

I thought it might look better too. Might still be worth later, just to make the guc SUSET.

>> > I think it's the other way round - right now the standalone case is much later
>> > than the multiuser case. Postmaster determines PgStartTime after creating
>> > shared memory, just before starting checkpointer / startup process - whereas
>> > single user mode in HEAD does it just before accepting input for the first
>> > time.
>>
>> Did that in the attached.
>>

>> I've attached the three remaining patches, after some more polish. Unless
>> somebody argues against I plan to commit these soon-ish.
>
>0001 looks fine.
>
>0002: Looks fine in conjunction with 0003.
>
>0003:
>
>PostgresSingleUserMain doesn't set processing mode. It is fine as it
>is initialied to InitProcessing at process start.  On the other hand,
>PostgresMain sets it to InitProcessing but it seems to me it is always
>InitProcessing when entering the function. In the first place isn't
>InitProcessing the initial state and won't be transitioned from other
>states?  However, it would be another issue even if it is right.

I don't think it should be accessed during the stuff that PostgresSingleUserMain() does. The catalog access / cache
initializationcontinues to happen below PostgresMain(). I guess a comment wouldn't me amiss.

I think we have way too many different process type & state variables :(

Andres