Re: Table space not returned to the OS ?

От Florents Tselai
Тема Re: Table space not returned to the OS ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On 27 Jun 2022, at 12:38 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 11:30 AM Florents Tselai <florents.tselai@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

A few months back (October) I had upgraded a Postgres instance from v12 —> 14.

The database disk size under /var/lib/postgresql/12 was around 800GB+ back then.
Note, that IIRC I had used hard-linking during the upgrade.

In the database itself, lots of things have changed since.
In fact, that database itself has been dropped at some point and restored from a backup.

As I was running out of disk space, I started investigating and found out that

/var/lib/postgresql/12/main/base/16385  —>  886GB+
/var/lib/postgresql/14 —> 400GB

The last modification date on that directory (../12/) appears to be around a month ago,
When the table with relied 16385 was in fact dropped.

Now, In my update scripts (I use this db as an OLAP) I occasionally run VACUUM.

Is it weird that the 886GB space hasn’t been returned to the OS yet?

What’s the safest way to return it to the OS manually?

When you use hardlinks in the upgrade all the files remain in the old directory when they are removed from the new one such as when you drop a relation. it is there for emergency recoveries. It's only the contents of the files that's "mirrored", not the existance.

It looks like you didn't actually delete the old cluster, which you are supposed to do once you have verified that the new one works. This looks like a debian/ubuntu system, which means you probably forgot to run "pg_dropcluster 12 main"? Or if it's not a debian cluster, the equivalent of that which results in

Ah, you’re right
pg_dropcluster 12 main && systemctl daemon-reload
worked fine.

Thanks.

removing the data directory for 12 along with any configuration files it has elsewhere.