INSERT INTO row value constructors

От Brandon Aiken
Тема INSERT INTO row value constructors
Дата
Список pgsql-general
This is just an odd question.  Previously RDBMSs (MySQL, SQLite, IIRC) I've used have allowed row value constructors
(optionalfeature F641 in SQL'03) on INSERT statements.  That is:

INSERT INTO mytable
VALUES (0,'hello'),(1,'world');

Is essentially shorthand for:

INSERT INTO mytable VALUES (0,'hello');
INSERT INTO mytable VALUES (1,'world');

Under PostgreSQL, though, the parser thinks the row value constructors are arrays.  This isn't a problem, per se,
exceptto make me realize that PostgreSQL is unlikely to adopt F641.

Is that correct, or is this behavior expected to change?

This is just a curiosity question.  I expect that PostgreSQL would behave in a similar manner performance wise inside a
transaction. It just struck me as odd when it didn't work.

--
Brandon Aiken
CS/IT Systems Engineer

Confidentiality Notice
This email, including attachments, may include confidential and/or proprietary information, and may be used only by the
personor entity to which it is addressed.  If the reader of this email is not the intended recipient or his/her
authorizedagent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is
prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and deleting
thisemail immediately.