Re: concatenation operator || with "null" array

От Brandon Aiken
Тема Re: concatenation operator || with "null" array
Дата
Список pgsql-general
NULL concatenated to anything is NULL.  Try this:

UPDATE test SET myint = COALESCE(myint || ARRAY[123], ARRAY[123]) WHERE
id = 1;

Or:

UPDATE test SET myint =
   CASE WHEN myint IS NULL THEN ARRAY[123]
   ELSE myint || ARRAY[123]
   END
WHERE id = 1;

An empty array can be displayed as ARRAY[NULL], but defaults to type
TEXT.  An explicit empty integer array would be ARRAY[NULL]::INTEGER[].
NULL arrays are not handled entirely consistently, though.  Sometimes it
acts like a NULL, and sometimes it acts like a container of NULL.

--
Brandon Aiken
CS/IT Systems Engineer