pg_dump fail beacuse of oid larger than int32

От Ragnar Garli
Тема pg_dump fail beacuse of oid larger than int32
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi all

I have a problem with pg_dump du to oid values larger than signed 32 bit
int.

I run a 7.1.3 on debian potato.

Th database is not big (about 10G) but with a lot of delete and insert.
The thing that crashes it all is when the pg_dump tries to select from
pg_description with a large oid value.
Then the backend in some stage calls dtoi4, wich have a return type of
int32, and this fails.

I think I can modify my 7.1.3 to dump the bases so i can upgrade to 7.3.1,
but I don't know if I will get the same problewm back in a few months.

I dont use the oids on the tables, so i can create the tables on the
7.3.1 with the "without oids" parameter, but will this really save me
from the system oid incrementing.
I did a test on a 7.2.1, creating a table without oids.
I then insertet 10 rows, and the created a new table.
the oid in pg_class had increasedf by twenty some between those two
tables.. why?

so it all comes down to two little questions:
Q1: Is there an easy way to get dump the data from my 7.1.3 ?
Q2: How can I minimalize oid incrementation ?
Regards:
Ragnar Garli