Re: Using the GPU

От Vincent Janelle
Тема Re: Using the GPU
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

Aren’t most databases constrained by I/O?  And postgresql by how fast your kernel can switch between processes under a concurrent load?

From: pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Billings, John
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2007 10:55 AM
To: pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org
Subject: [HACKERS] Using the GPU

Does anyone think that PostgreSQL could benefit from using the video card as a parallel computing device?  I'm working on a project using Nvidia's CUDA with an 8800 series video card to handle non-graphical algorithms.  I'm curious if anyone thinks that this technology could be used to speed up a database?  If so which part of the database, and what kind of parallel algorithms would be used?

Thanks, sorry if this is a duplicate message.

-- John Billings