Re: User's responsibility when using a chain of "immutable" functions?

От Christophe Pettus
Тема Re: User's responsibility when using a chain of "immutable" functions?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> On Jun 28, 2022, at 23:42, Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
> That is not enough in the general case.  You are not allowed to redefine
> an IMMUTABLE function in a way that changes its behavior [...]

I think "not allowed" is putting it too strongly.  It would be a bit much to ask that every single user-written
immutablefunction be 100% perfect when it is rolled out, and never have to fix any bugs in them.  However, you
definitely*do* have to understand that there are administrative consequences for doing so, like rebuilding indexes and
invalidatingsession caches.  I think that the OP's statement that you can't ever use user-defined functions from an
immutablefunction is too strong, too; you need to be aware of the consequences if you change an immutable function in a
waythat alters the return result for a previously-valid set of arguments.