Re: Logging pg_autovacuum

От Larry Rosenman
Тема Re: Logging pg_autovacuum
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
>> I think there are two things people typically want to know from the
>> logs: 1) Is autovacuum running 2) Did autovacuum take action (issue
>> a VACUUM or ANALYZE)
>>
>> I don't think we need mention the name of each and every database we
>> touch, we can, but it should be at a lower level like DEBUG1 or
>> something.
>
> OK, that part is done.
>
>> I don't know what logging level these thing should go at, but I for
>> one would like them to be fairly high easy to get to, perhaps NOTICE?
>
> Interesting idea.  I had forgotten that for server messages, LOG is at
> the top, and ERROR, NOTICE, etc are below it.  We could make them
> NOTICE, but then all user NOTICE messages appear in the logs too.
> Yuck.
>
> Do we want to LOG everytime autovacuum does something?  Is that going
> to fill up the logs worse than the per-database line?

My general take is I (as an admin), want to know that:
a) autovacuum is doing it's periodic checks
b) when it actually vacuums a (database|table) we know what time it did  it.

> The real issue is that we give users zero control over what autovacuum
> logs, leading to the TODO item.  I guess the question is until the
> TODO item is done, what do we want to do?
>
> How do people like the idea of having this in postgresql.conf:
>
>     autovacuum_set = 'set log_min_messages = ''error'''
>
> and set autovacuum to output notice/info/error messages as desired by
> the administrator?  This shouldn't be too hard to do, and it is very
> flexible.

We definitely need to do "something" wrt autovacuum messages,
but this doesn't say what gets logged at what level for autovacuum.

I'd like to see a more concrete definition of what we
want Autovacuum to output and at what levels.

LER

--
Larry Rosenman
Database Support Engineer