Re: Copying data files to new hardware?

От Brian Hirt
Тема Re: Copying data files to new hardware?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Evan,

Others can probably answer your question better about copying, but in general we never do that but I think if you use
thesame arch and major release of postgresql you will be okay.

We have used Slony successfully for all of our database upgrades, server maintenance and database moves over the last
severalyears.  Slony 1.2 still supports postgres 8.2.   You can set up the new database on the new machine, set it up
asa slave and the current machine as a master, replicate the entire database, wait for replication to catch up do a
switchoverand shut down the old master and uninstall slony.  The plus is that you can accomplish what you need with
prettymuch 0 downtime.

--brian