Re: New to_timestamp implementation is pretty strict

От David E. Wheeler
Тема Re: New to_timestamp implementation is pretty strict
Дата
Re: New to_timestamp implementation is pretty strict  ("Dave Page" <dpage@pgadmin.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Dec 1, 2008, at 1:08 PM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> postgres=# SELECT to_timestamp('29-12-2005 01:02:3', 'DD-MM-YYYY
> HH24:MI:SS'); -- doesn't work
> ERROR:  source string too short for "SS" formatting field
> DETAIL:  Field requires 2 characters, but only 1 remain.
> HINT:  If your source string is not fixed-width, try using the "FM"
> modifier.
>
> I think the end of string should be treated like a field separator,
> colon in this example, and we should accept both of the above.
> Opinions?

I'm generally in favor of being generous in the input one can accept,
but in this case it seems ambiguous to me. Is that supposed to be :30
or :03? There's no way to tell.

My $0.02.

Best,

David