Re: Undesirable whitespace treatment in mail archive display

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: Undesirable whitespace treatment in mail archive display
Дата
Re: Undesirable whitespace treatment in mail archive display  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-www

On Jun 11, 2018, at 2:22 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

On Jun 11, 2018, at 2:09 PM, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

On Jun 11, 2018, at 1:58 PM, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:

On 11 Jun 2018, at 19:52, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

On Jun 11, 2018, at 1:47 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

Since we moved to the new website design, the mailing list archives
display all messages with leading indentation suppressed.  This can
be pretty awful, eg in the code fragment here:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20180611170812.7ypf6xs6dlteo57j@alap3.anarazel.de

Looking closer, I think it may not just be leading indentation that
gets lost; seems like *any* whitespace string gets smashed to a
single space, cf followup at

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/7382.1528737252%40sss.pgh.pa.us

which certainly does not look like it did in my outbox.

I assume this is just an ill-considered stylesheet choice somewhere
... can we fix it please?

Hmm…agreed. I’m going to check the old code to see how that was handled. This
may have occurred when trying to make the archives readable across different
viewports.

The below diff will retain the whitespace included the post.  It doesn’t seem
to make it less readable on smaller viewports (although more scrolling), but I
only tested quickly so more input is welcome.

I did some testing locally and it does solve the whitespace problem, but
introduces the following:

1. The line heights are not a bit larger, which could introduce the return of
the “scrolling” problem.

2. We lose the mobile-friendly wrapping that was introduced.

Looking at our mobile traffic numbers, I’d be inclined to solve the immediate
issue of the whitespace problem and make it a bit harder to use the archives on
mobile temporarily while looking for a better solution. In other words, we don’t
have that much mobile traffic in the archives.

I can tweak the line heights the make the scrolling not as bad, if not the same.
I’ll experiment and once it looks like before push / commit.

Below is what I’m thinking. This should keep the whitespace and
continue to keep the scroll relatively tight. It also helps to not look as bad on
mobile, though it’s still not great.

If this is acceptable I can get it committed.

Committed and pushed. Changes should be visible in that thread and as caches
clear.

I did some more research into the CSS directive Daniel posted and found that
“pre-wrap” can give us the same effect that we had on mobile before (though
long lines don’t look great) so I think we have as close to best-of-all-worlds for
now.

Please let me know if this adversely affects scrolling and I can look into adjusting.

Thanks,

Jonathan

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: Undesirable whitespace treatment in mail archive display
Сообщение: Re: Undesirable whitespace treatment in mail archive display