Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Well that's a bit if hyperbole. There's a gulf of difference between
an embedded use case where it should fit within an acceptable
footprint for a desktop app component of maybe a megabyte or so of ram
and disk - if we're generous and saying it should run comfortably
without having to spec out special server hardware for a demo.

That said 64mb of ram seems like hyperbole too. My NSLU2 has 32mb...

greg

On 4 Dec 2008, at 06:28 PM, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 10:20 -0800, Ron Mayer wrote:
>> Greg Smith wrote:
>>> I'm not the sort to be too concerned myself that
>>> the guy who thinks he's running a DW on a system with 64MB of RAM
>>> might
>>> get bad settings, but it's a fair criticism to point that out as a
>>> problem.
>>
>> In defense of thinking about very small configurations, I've seen
>> many
>> cases where an enterprise-software salesperson's laptop is running a
>> demo - either in a small virtual machine in the laptop, or on an
>> overloaded windows box.    Even though the customer might end up
>> running with 64GB, the sales demo's more likely to be 64MB.
>
> Although I get your point, that is a job for sqllite not postgresql.
> PostgreSQL is not a end all be all solution and it is definitely not
> designed to be "embedded" which is essentially what you are suggesting
> with that kind of configuration.
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

> --
> PostgreSQL
>   Consulting, Development, Support, Training
>   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
>   The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Сообщение: Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard
Сообщение: Re: Simple postgresql.conf wizard