RE: [HACKERS] Auto Type conversion

От Jackson, DeJuan
Тема RE: [HACKERS] Auto Type conversion
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > Can I assume that this as well as the text->varchar will be fixed in
> > 6.4?
>
> text->varchar is likely to be addressed (as well as other string
> issues
> such as ensuring correct maximum length in target columns).
>
> > adserver=> select NOW()::DATETIME::TIMESTAMP;
> > ERROR:  function datetime_stamp(datetime) does not exist
>
> Hmm. I wrote most of the routines you might want to go _to_ datetime,
> but did not fully populate the functions to go _away_ from datetime.
> For
> timestamp in particular, I didn't want to spend the time, since I was
> planning on replacing timestamp with datetime sometime soon.
Is there an easy way to format the output for the DATETIME datatype on a
per query basis.  I really like the DATETIME functionality, but there
are times when the TIMESTAMP output format would be more convenient.

> However, I haven't taken that step yet because:
>
> 1) I think that the current datetime implementation makes more sense
> than the SQL92 specification for timestamp (of course, I wrote it so
> I'm
> a bit biased :)
>
> 2) imho implementing _full_ SQL92 timestamp behavior is a waste of
> time
> (damaged functionality wrt datetime and bizarre syntax, usage, and
> behavior, among other reasons).
What is the bizarre/archaic functionality?  I would vote for
compatibility unless it introduces some huge programming concerns.

> 3) others may have a strong opinion that a _full_ SQL92 timestamp is
> important (I would hope that they have a real need for it, rather than
> it being a "well, it should" argument because afaik no one actually
> uses
> the most arcane SQL92 features of timestamp, since they make little
> sense).
Well my argument is a 'well, it should'.  But I'm willing to help, if at
all possible, to reach the idea I express.

> 4) I'm not likely to be willing to support a damaged form of
> datetime/timestamp at the expense of a full-featured datetime, but the
> project might decide to head that direction.
Why not implement timestamp as a different type interface to the same
implementation?  Unless the SQL92 standard conflicts directly with the
current implementation of DATETIME, in which case I suggest leaving them
separate and implement good CAST between them.

> My feeling is that the SQL92 form of timestamp is a mish-mash of
> requirements and features to accomodate existing database products.
> Starting from scratch, no one would have come close to the SQL92
> standard for this. The datetime type is more in keeping with how date
> and time actually behave, and is what timestamp should be.
Well, if we implement the standard as it stands as TIMESTAMP and leave
the current DATETIME functionality and implement auto-typecasting
between the two then we get the best of both worlds, as long as it
doesn't take 500 man-hours to implement.

> Anyway, a discussion of this may be in order. Anyone??
Ooh, Ooh, me, me.

>                     - Tom
        -DEJ