Re: Performance and Clustering

От Alban Hertroys
Тема Re: Performance and Clustering
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 29 Apr 2010, at 3:08, Jaime Rodriguez wrote:

> hi,
> Today is my first day looking at PostgreSQL
> I am looking to migrate a MS SQL DB to PostgreSQL :) :)
> My customer requires that DBMS shall support 4000 simultaneous requests
> Also the system to be deploy maybe a cluster, with 12 microprocessors
>
> From what I have read, PostgreSQL has really good performance and reliability but I would like to get some numbers,
notsure if somewhere in the wiki some of this data is available.

Are you looking at PostgreSQL on Windows or on a UNIX or UNIX-based OS?

The reason I'm asking is that Postgres doesn't perform at its best on Windows and I seriously wonder whether the OS
wouldbe able to handle a load like that at all (can Windows handle 4000 open sockets for example?). Other database
solutionson Windows will probably have similar issues, so this is not a reason to base your choice of database on - it
isIMHO something that you should look into.

OTOH, changing both the database and the OS is a big change. For example, most UNIX-es by default use a case-sensitive
filesystem, whereas Windows does not.
That said, for both you'll certainly have to make lots of changes in your application, so combining the two and do that
onlyonce may be preferable. If you're thinking of going that way I'd suggest FreeBSD or Solaris, but Linux is a popular
choice(as is Windows, for that matter).

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is an excellent way to attach something to the ceiling.

!DSPAM:737,4bd984be10411660912508!

От: Craig Ringer
Сообщение: Re: FW: Java Memory Issue while Loading Postgres library
От: Jorge Arevalo
Сообщение: Re: Writing SRF