Re: pg_upgrade test failure

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: pg_upgrade test failure
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

https://api.cirrus-ci.com/v1/artifact/task/6696942420361216/testrun/build/testrun/pg_upgrade/002_pg_upgrade/log/regress_log_002_pg_upgrade

>> pg_upgrade: warning: could not remove directory
"C:/cirrus/build/testrun/pg_upgrade/002_pg_upgrade/data/t_002_pg_upgrade_new_node_data/pgdata/pg_upgrade_output.d/20230131T134931.720/log":
Directorynot empty
>> pg_upgrade: warning: could not remove directory
"C:/cirrus/build/testrun/pg_upgrade/002_pg_upgrade/data/t_002_pg_upgrade_new_node_data/pgdata/pg_upgrade_output.d/20230131T134931.720":
Directorynot empty

>So no change: we didn't see "could not unlink file ...".  So I think
>that means that it was rmtree() that unlinked the file for the *first*
>time, but someone else has it open.
>
>Even though Windows is at this point eroding my love of computers and
>making me consider a new career in, I dunno, carrot farming or
>something, I have one more idea.  Check out this kluge in
>src/bin/pg_upgrade/exec.c:
>
>        /*
>         * "pg_ctl -w stop" might have reported that the server has stopped
>         * because the postmaster.pid file has been removed, but "pg_ctl -w
>         * start" might still be in the process of closing and might still be
>         * holding its stdout and -l log file descriptors open.  Therefore,
>         * try to open the log file a few more times.
>         */
>
>I'm not sure about anything, but if that's what's happening here, then
>maybe the attached would help.  In short, it would make the previous
>theory true (the idea of a second unlink() saving the day).

Maybe we should just handle it by sleeping and retrying, if on windows? Sad to even propose...