Re: Table Design for Hierarchical Data

От Michael Glaesemann
Тема Re: Table Design for Hierarchical Data
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Apr 6, 2010, at 13:33 , Lee Hachadoorian wrote:

> A standard way to store hierarchical data is the adjacency list model, where
> each node's parent appears as an attribute (table column).

Another is nested sets which performs quite nicely for loads which are more read than write (which I suspect is the
casehere).

> So 6111 would
> list 611 as its parent. Since NAICS uses a hierarchical encoding scheme, the
> node's name is the same as the node's id, and the parent can always be
> derived from the node's id. Storing the parent id separately would seem to
> violate a normal form (because of the redundancy).

I'd consider the code a representation of the node structure rather than the implementation of the node structure.

> The problem is that because of nondisclosure rules, the
> data is sometimes censored at the more specific level.

I don't know if this is per-user or per-category or what, but it may be something you store separately from the main
table.

> Specifically I'd like to know if this should be a single table or should
> there be a separate table for each level of the hierarchy (four in all)?

I'd say one table for hierarchy and possibly another for the permissions data.

> If one table, should the digits be broken into separate columns?

Probably not.

> Should parent
> ids be stored in each node?

Only if you use an encoding scheme (such as adjacency list) which requires it.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: