Re: new heapcheck contrib module

От Mark Dilger
Тема Re: new heapcheck contrib module
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> On Oct 6, 2020, at 11:27 PM, Andrey Borodin <x4mmm@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
>

>> 7 окт. 2020 г., в 04:20, Mark Dilger <mark.dilger@enterprisedb.com> написал(а):
>>

>>> On Oct 5, 2020, at 5:24 PM, Mark Dilger <mark.dilger@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> - This version does not change clog handling, which leaves Andrey's concern unaddressed.  Peter also showed some
supportfor (or perhaps just a lack of opposition to) doing more of what Andrey suggests.  I may come back to this
issue,depending on time available and further feedback.

>> Attached is a patch set that includes the clog handling as discussed.  The 0001 and 0002 are effectively unchanged
sinceversion 16 posted yesterday, but this now includes 0003 which creates a non-throwing interface to clog, and 0004
whichuses the non-throwing interface from within amcheck's heap checking functions.

>> I think this is a pretty good sketch for discussion, though I am unsatisfied with the lack of regression test
coverageof verify_heapam in the presence of clog truncation.  I was hoping to have that as part of v17, but since it is
takinga bit longer than I anticipated, I'll have to come back with that in a later patch.

> Many thanks, Mark! I really appreciate this functionality. It could save me many hours of recreating clogs.

You are quite welcome, though the thanks may be premature.  I posted 0003 and 0004 patches mostly as concrete
implementationexamples that can be criticized.

> I'm not entire sure this message is correct: psprintf(_("xmax %u commit status is lost")
> It seems to me to be not commit status, but rather transaction status.

I have changed several such messages to say "transaction status" rather than "commit status".  I'll be posting it in a
separateemail, shortly.

Thanks for reviewing!

—
Mark Dilger