RE: pg_depend

От Hiroshi Inoue
Тема RE: pg_depend
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

For example, we would process the following step to drop a
column.

select ....(all columns except a column) from a into b;
drop table a;
alter table b rename to a;

But we would lose all relelvant objects.

Though we may be able to solve this problem by implementing
*drop column* properly, we couldn't solve this kind of problems
at once. In fact neither *drop column* nor *cluster* is solved.
We could always have (at least) the second best way by
allowing drop-and-recreate-with-same-name revival.

> The majority of the cases I've heard about where this would be useful
> are for functions, and we could solve that a lot better with an ALTER
> FUNCTION command that allows changing the function body (but not the
> name, arguments, or result type).
>
> BTW, name alone is not a good enough referent for functions... you'd
> have to store the argument types too.

??? Isn't an entrypg_proc_relidthe oid of the functionpg_type_relidthe oid of an argument typethe name of the argument
type
made ?

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue