Postgres 7.3.1 on Windows XP Home / Professional

От Sean Carlos
Тема Postgres 7.3.1 on Windows XP Home / Professional
Дата
Список pgsql-cygwin
Hello,

I'd like to thank you all for your fine work.   I'm working on prototyping a
system for a non-profit organization and wanted to share the following
information based on my experience getting Postgres to work, at least for
development, on Windows XP.

- I have gotten postgres 7.3.1 to run on both Home & Prof. Editions -
including creating a basic db and populating it with data; I have also been
able to run pgadmin II & pgaccess on xp pro.

- The user "postgres" requires a password for the service to work under xp.
Otherwise, an error "1369" occurs when starting the service.  Thus,

    # net user postgres <postgres pass> /add /fullname:postgres
/comment:'PostgreSQL user account' /homedir:"$(cygpath -w /home/postgres)"

     -> where <postgres pass> is a user-defined password.

- XP home lacks user policy management, so this step

             2. Grant the "postgres" user the "Log on as a service" user
right:

             # cmd /c secpol.msc # [3] [4] [5]

happens the first time you start the service in win xp home.

There are several things I still need to verify, but it appears that the
postgres user should be an administrator (changed using windows control
panel user manager panel) and several changes need to be made to file
permissions:

$chown 544 /usr/bin
$chmod 755 /usr/bin
$chmod +x+r+w /usr/bin/postgres.exe

-- but -- I haven't yet verified this completely with a clean reinstall.

I hope in any case this information is helpful.

Best regards,

Sean Carlos