Working happily on 8.1 (Was: panic on 7.3)

От Rick Gigger
Тема Working happily on 8.1 (Was: panic on 7.3)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
While this little bug was a menace to me at a bad time my biggest
problem was that I didn't have a good enough vacuum strategy and my
reasonable sized database became the size of the world.  At that
point it couldn't be vacuumed without jamming up the whole server.
So I have some questions.  If this is the wrong place let me know and
I will submit it to general.

1) What about these settings.  It is a dual 2.8 ghz xeon box with 6
RAID 5 (I know I should be using 0+1 or something) 15,000 rpm scsi
drives and 2 gigs  of ram.

max_connections = 1024
shared_buffers = 15000
work_mem = 1024
maintenance_work_mem = 100000
max_fsm_pages = 1000000
checkpoint_segments = 10
checkpoint_timeout = 1000
effective_cache_size = 50000

My "base" directory is 618 MB.  All other performance related
settings I left at the defaults.

I know it depends on my data set and load etc, but it would be great
if someone could tell me if anything in there is a little crazy.  The
max_fsm_pages seemed a bit high but I really want vacuum to go fast
and painless and if I read everything right it still doesn't take up
much memory.

2) I didn't touch the Vacuum delay, background writer or autovacuum
settings because I wasn't familiar enough with them.  Are the default
values very restricting?  I realized a little too late that leaving
some of the 7.3 defaults in place came back to bite me when my load
went up.  Since these are performance enhancing features and they
didn't exist in older versions I figured that the defaults would
still be better than 7.3 without those features.  Or are the defaults
too conservative and I need to change them ASAP?

3) Several times there were backends  running that were just bringing
down the system.  Is there a way to signal a single backend to die
without restarting the whole db server?  I looked on google, searched
the archives and in the docs and couldn't find any way to do this.

Thanks again,

Rick