Re: Support custom socket directory in pg_upgrade

От Daniel Gustafsson
Тема Re: Support custom socket directory in pg_upgrade
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 7 Nov 2018, at 08:23, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
> On 09/10/2018 15:09, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> Having hit the maximum socketdir length error a number of times in pg_upgrade,
>> especially when running tests in a deep directory hierarchy, I figured it was
>> time to see if anyone else has had the same problem?  The attached patch is
>> what I run with locally to avoid the issue, it adds a --socketdir=PATH option
>> to pg_upgrade which overrides the default use of CWD.  Is that something that
>> could be considered?
>
> Why not always create a temporary directory and put it there.  Then we
> don't need an option.  It's not like the current directory is a
> particularly good choice anyway.

I agree that cwd isn’t a terribly good default, but is there a good way to
identify a suitable temporary directory to use across all platforms (mostly
thinking about Windows)?  Overloading PGDATA/base/pgsql_tmp (or similar) in
either the new or old datadir seems ugly, and risks running into the sockdir
limitation this patch is intending to solve.

cheers ./daniel