Re: [DOCS] postgres index rebuild

От Jashobanta Mahapatra
Тема Re: [DOCS] postgres index rebuild
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Hi ,

Thank you so much for your quick response.

I have a doubt when you told script.
Are you talking about Shell scripting/ Perl Scripting or any other script.

It 'll be a great pleasure if you can help me with a small example.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Paquier [mailto:michael.paquier@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, May 27, 2017 1:44 AM
To: Euler Taveira
Cc: Jashobanta Mahapatra; pgsql-docs@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [DOCS] postgres index rebuild

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 3:24 PM, Euler Taveira <euler@timbira.com.br> wrote:
> CIC can't be executed inside a transaction block or a user-defined
> function because it involves some phases that are not easily
> rollback-able. Instead create a small script with those commands.

If you are interested in the reasons why multiple transactions are needed, just go through DefineIndex() in
indexcmds.c,particularly the comments. It explains all the phases that are happening for a concurrent index build, what
arethe validation phases, what are the wait phases, etc. The same applies for DROP INDEX with index_drop() in index.c.

--
Michael
This e-mail and all material transmitted with it are for the use of the intended recipient(s) ONLY and contains